Nothing Less Than Our All

So many emotions have blasted their way through this house in the last two weeks.  I'm learning Foster Parenting is similar to adoption in the fact that it's hurting children who need a family to love on them unconditionally but that's really where the similarities end.  Foster care is ever changing.  Our kids have case workers and social workers and a whole team of people behind the scenes that help decide every move. EVERY thing you do is documented. We have to update about emotional well being, acting out or not acting out, discipline.. the list is never ending.  In the end we can love on these little ones and have them as our own but we don't have final say in what happens to them... and that took some getting used to.

I honestly have really come to appreciate A's case worker and social worker.  They are both wonderful women who love the Lord and really care about what happens to A.  We approach things totally different but it works because it provides a really well rounded team.

I'll be honest and say the last few weeks have been HARD for this mama.  A and I have been working out what it looks like to both be mothers and yet have me as the final say in matters. There have been some pretty rough moments.  There have been moments where I just went upstairs and sobbed.  There have been moments where I questioned if this was and is really the path we're supposed to walk (the answer is yes btw!).  BUT with all that hard stuff we are seeing real, lasting change take place.  I'm seeing a young girl begin to understand what it is to care about her appearance (getting to play with make up with her is FUN).  I'm seeing a young girl grow more and more into a mother.  I'm seeing a young girl learn at the same time that it's ok to be a kid.  The evidence of how far we've come is the fact that at this moment A is in the kitchen washing dishes (a consequence for something) and instead of a surly child, she's in there singing at the top of her lungs!  It does this mama's heart good to hear.

All in all things are good.  I have my moments or days that are SO isolating because I take care of little A during the day and she has some serious attachment issues.  If someone isn't touching her then she won't sleep most of the time.  I tried to just change this in the beginning (rookie move).  I've since learned that it's just what she needs right now.  It's frustrating at times and makes me want to scream at others but its for a season.  So I will sit for 3-5 hours a day and simply hold this sweet, sweet baby.  When I feel lonely or sad I just try to remember that there are so many of you that are praying for us and it's felt.  Those prayers mean so much to us!

So that's the update on the foster front.  We are falling more and more in love with our girls each and every day.  It's not easy... not even kinda easy.  It's the hardest thing we've ever done BUT I'm learning that serving Jesus requires nothing less.

Be Blessed!

And on a totally different note:  Hop over to our Etsy Shop and enjoy 10% off for the month of October with the coupon FALL2012!!

Comments