Where We Are.

God meets us where we are.  We don't have to be in a church service, say a specific prayer to be heard or act a certain way.  In our brokenness he loves us.  In our messy, emotional days he loves us.  I was reminded today though that God is not just love... I mean he is LOVE... he is all loving and all powerful... but he is also just.  I think because he is loving he is just.  You hear it said in church... God is like a parent who lovingly disciplines their child even though it's not fun or even politically correct to do so. 

So a lot of thoughts have been going through my head lately.  I have a lot of time to just think.  Last week I had enough.  I wanted to be DOING something.  I wanted to be ACTIVE.  I wanted to CONTROL something.  I WANTED MY KIDS.  After a long day of internalizing all those wants it all came bubbling out in a gigantic, emotional mess.  Thankfully, I am married to a man who knows me and loves me for me... emotional basket case and all. 

As I sat in the truck, screaming and crying about how unfair things were and how I wanted to KNOW what was going to happen he just listened.  As I asked (very loudly) where our kids are and why they aren't with us yet he just listened.  As my emotional wave subsided he began to talk and remind me of all the good things God has done.  He reminded me of the amazing home we are moving in to that was a gift from God.  He reminded me that our kids are coming and we just have to wait.  He reminded me that God has given me the gift of time right now.  Time to be with God and time to learn. 

I have time to think about what I believe and how that becomes action.  I honestly have begun to believe that if my beliefs have no action then they are worthless and I don't want my beliefs to be worthless.  More and more God is showing me passages in the Bible that talk about what we need to be DOING not just what we need to be believing.  I don't know how this is going to manifest in our home yet but I know that God is stirring things up... man are they stirring... more like boiling. 

Steve and I have been reading a book called 7: An Experimental Mutiny on Excess.  The book challenged my ideas of what a fast is and what it is used for.  God has been taking that a step further as he continually brings up passages and books that call me to action.  Isaiah 58: 6-9 says:

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness[a] will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. 

I don't know what is coming but I do feel God moving dramatically in my heart and in our life.  I guess the question is what is it God calls each of us to?  I mean this verse wasn't just written for Steve and I.  God calls and expects all of us to love our neighbor as ourselves and in the words of Katie Davis "My self doesn't want to be starving".  So how do we take the name of Jesus and share it?  I'm asking you...

Comments