A Weekend To Remember

Friday night it began... friends came and helped us sort clothes and empty our house.  At first the plan was to get "organized".  After an hour it became apparent that we needed to set up and we needed to do it right away! So we began to set up the yard sale.  Clothes racks went up, fell down, went back up, fell down.... that repeated until the end of the yard sale actually.  Kids sorted and folded clothing... I've never seen so much clothing!  At around 11pm we went to bed.  We had so much work ahead of us but knew we needed to sleep. 


Friday night I laid awake for over an hour.  Lists flew through my head.  Last minute details flying at me from every angle.  "Don't forget the ice.  Get outside by 5am.  Make sure signs are out..." It went on and on. 


Saturday morning our alarm went off at 4am.  Normally at 4am the only thought that goes through my head is "oh this is so wrong".  Saturday morning my thoughts were simply "We're that much closer." "They will be home partly because of today."  "God bless us beyond my wildest dreams."  We all silently got ready with minimal conversation. 

At 5 am our army of volunteers began to arrive.  Everyone was excited and in their shirts.  Everyone jumped right in.  Even the kids were helping.  I remember standing in the middle of my yard surrounded by thousands of items.  Everyone was moving around me sorting and frantically setting up.  I could not move.  I just kept starring.  It was so overwhelming at moments to think all these people are here for us.  All these things were given by people who were supporting us.  That is amazing.  At 5 am it was overwhelming.



By 7am we were pretty set up.. .at least to where we were functional and they began to arrive.  It started slow but suddenly my dear friends Erin and Jeremy got the amazing idea to dress up in some of the costumes that were donated and go stand out on the road directing people to the yard sale.... it made all the difference in the world.  Jeremy was out there ALL DAY.  He took several small breaks and we were shocked to see that when he took a break we have no one come to the yard sale.  When they were out there we had a ton.  After awhile our friend Mike joined them and it was so amazing to watch these amazing friends out there joyfully directing people to spend their money at our house... it blew us away!





The yard sale went from 7am to 5pm.  In that time we really were full almost the entire time.  There were such a myriad of emotions.  I was exhausted.  I had slept 4 hours.  I was exstatic. I was nervous.  I was humbled.  I was joyful.  I was.... well you get the idea.  It meant so much to me that my friends gave up their Saturday, their sleep, their day to come and help us.  I mean some of them were there ALL DAY.... over 12 hours.  Mya took charge in an amazing way.  She is able to see details along the way and stay focused and throughout the yard sale she was making changes and keeping it running smoothly.  Brian was our sales man.  He sold more than anyone and had the cash flowing in a constant stream all day... I was amazed!  Sarah was so supportive and constant.  Her presence was calming and she never complained once even though she was there all day.  Erin and Jeremy and Mike well I already bragged on them.  Jon was there for whatever we needed... he's a constant in our lives.  My parents ran the check out station and it was so fun to see them interacting with each and every person that came our way.  Jenna, Susan, Brooke, Justin,  Jeff, Lindsay, Amy, Jen, Debbie, Christina... the list goes on of people who were there helping us on Saturday.  If I have not listed you here I'm sorry I am really, really tired right now.
So Sunday my momma counted all the money and I cleaned my house.  I took time to breathe and allow myself to feel all the emotions I was feeling.  Grateful is a big one but there was also some sadness.  I'm just going to be honest with that.  I think it's mostly my body reacting to exhaustion but there was a sadness even while I am rejoicing at the outcome... not sure maybe it's the fact that it's over?  I mean don't get my wrong I am overjoyed that it's over but still feel a little sad.







So I know what you've all been waiting for is the final total.  How much did we raise?  Well we raised a TON.  We raised so much that we are just a few hundred away from our goal!  The total raised for the yard sale was $4,202.00.  Yes you read that right FOUR THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND TWO DOLLARS. 

Thank you so much to everyone who was a part of this.


We love you!

Comments

Christina said…
So awesome! I'm so glad it was a success! (And it was pretty funny to see our old costumes being put to such a good use!)
Praying that your new Day comes home soon!!! <3
Chris
Mackenzie said…
So happy for you guys!