The Beginning of a New Album

A few months ago, I started to write music again.

It's weird just reading that line. Most people who know me well know that music is pretty much in my blood. How it got there I'm not entirely sure. I'm the only musical person in my family. I never got really got into sports and even before I knew how to play guitar, I always imagined myself being some sort of rockstar.

I spent a lot of years trying to pursue that goal. However, if I'm being entirely honest, I was in love with the idea of being a rockstar. I just didn't want to really spend the time going after it. If you've ever played in a band, you know that it means your gonna be spending a lot of time in van with 3-4 other sweaty dudes driving endless hours to play for a few people until maybe one day people start to like you.

That was a really long sentence....somewhere, my high school English teachers all just collectively sighed.

Sorry, rabbit trail.

The long and short of it was that I got burnt out. That and God told me to stop. At the apex of all that I was playing guitar in a worship band and I was starting to live the dream. But all the while, I felt like God was telling me, "your journey here is done." So
I stopped...and then Mac Powell produced their record. That one kind of stung. I literally wrestled with that and mourned over that for a good year or more.

While I was doing that band, I barely wrote any music. When I did, I wasn't being myself. I was trying to copy some magic formula. But my heart wasn't in those songs (all except one).

Since then, God has been doing some major heart surgery on me. I've given up dreams and aspirations about being famous and now I don't care about that at all. I'm happy if the only people who ever hear the songs I write are my church and close friends. I'll be happy if I play a gig and I play to an empty room. Because, I'm not playing for my fame anymore. I'm
playing for the greatness of my God.

Something else has changed too. I'm starting to write my heart songs again. Not the ones where I'm trying to be someone else. But the ones where I get excited. Where I hear them in my head all day long.

So, to start off the musical portion of this blog, here is the song I wrote about 4 years ago. I don't think I ever came up with a proper title for it. I've called it, "This is an Anthem" and I've also called it, "We Are Gonna Make It". You take a listen and tell me what you think it should be called..

Oh, and I'll warn you, this is a rough draft so there are mistakes etc. But this version isn't meant to go on an album.

Comments

Unknown said…
"There is a world out there"

or "We are"
Unknown said…
"We are"

or "there is a world out there"


Keep writing..............
Mya Perdun said…
love it! very fun and def made me smile. :) name: "anthem of hope" or something like that....
Awesome. Keep it up! And keep it simple: "World Out There"