NY, NY

This past weekend Katie and I went to NYC to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. Granted it was about 3 weeks after but we were trying to do something special.

I'll admit, when it comes to anniversaries, I've been a bad husband. I think the worst was when we were in Indiana doing a week-long gig with the Micah Watson Band. Note to all of you new husbands, if you want to impress your wife on your anniversary, don't spend it with 3 other dudes at a Baptist Retreat in Indiana. Trust me.

This anniversary was supposed to break the chain and in some respects it did. What I will say is that it started out pretty terribly. Guys, again, it's free advice day here at From Africa With Love, let me recommend NOT taking the night bus to Chinatown. Yes, you can get there for $60 round trip but you'll also have back problems for the rest of your life not to mention you will also develop claustrophobia within the first 30 minutes of the ride.

Getting back to the anniversary part...

If the bus-ride wasn't bad enough, we quickly found out how little we've communicating for the past couple months. It's not that we've been ignoring each other, but it does mean that our time with each other has been pretty uneventful. It's easy to get settled into a pattern where you're too tired to talk and it's just easier to watch TV and go to bed without having any meaningful interaction.

Let me set the scene....Central Park...it's getting kinda of hot outside...no sleep thanks to the night bus...let's just say I'm sure people walked by and thought we were crazy.

Now, the entire trip wasn't bad. Actually, we ended up having some very meaningful conversations and had a great time. However, the truth of the matter is that it's my fault that it started out so horribly. As the head of the household, biblically, the health of my family rests on my shoulders. I can try to point the finger and make as many excuses as I want, but when the day of judgement rolls around, Jesus will be looking at me and I'll have no excuse. Only regrets.

So, to the husbands out there, remember we are called to love our lives as Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her. Jesus wasn't tired enough to endure the cross, so take your wife on a walk. Jesus wasn't to busy to die for you, so call your wife today and tell her you love her. Jesus didn't decide the price of your salvation was too high, so buy your wife some flowers.

By writing this, I realize that I just put myself on the hook for a lot today...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post Dude!