Stories Are in the Details

We were driving  down the road one Sunday night.  We were headed back to church, like we normally do on a Sunday.  A conversation began.  "I'm so frustrated and feel angry with God.  I don't know what he is doing, are we even supposed to adopt?"  The conversation continued.  We were tired, we were worn out, we were questioning.

We got to church and Steve headed off to do his thing.  That night was a  night of worship.  The entire church was coming together and Steve was helping with the music.  Since I wasn't a part of the music I had some time so I headed off to shop at TJ Maxx!

I came back into the sanctuary a few hours later and began to look for a seat.  I chatted with people as I went but stopped to hug our old community group leaders and talk for a few minutes.  When asked how I was handling everything I politely lied and said things were great, we were trusting God and just waiting. My insides were screaming a different story though.

We talked for a few more minutes and then I headed off to find my seat.  I was fully intending to sit by myself and cry through the night if needed, or sit in stoney silence.  I didn't know what to expect from my emotional roller coaster of a self.  Suddenly I heard my name squealed at a frequency that can only come from my friends adorable 5 year old when she sees someone she loves.  I look up and there my friend is with her two daughters... and I rejoiced a little that I wouldn't be alone that night.

The music began and the guest Worship Leader did an amazing job of engaging and getting everyone to focus on what was important, Jesus.  As the night went on my heart cried out more and more to the Jesus that I love.  I worshiped and it was a time of release... but I didn't realize what was about to happen.

It was as if God tapped me on the shoulder and said "Listen up Katie, I've got something specific for you".  Seconds later the worship leader asks if he can tell us a story.  He then proceeds to tell us the story of how he and his wife had struggled with infertility for years and how God miraculously led them to adoption.  You can read their story here if you are interested.  Steve was sitting on the stage and I was in the crowd but we both looked at each other and wept the entire time he talked.  He was speaking words that were a balm to our souls.  He reminded us that God truly is faithful, that He has a plan and that plan is perfect.  He reminded me that we have a hope and that we wait in hope.

As they played a few final songs I felt God telling me to come to the altar and just rest in his presence.  I resisted because well.. I didn't want people starring at me.  Finally I couldn't take it any more though and I went and just sat.  Suddenly I felt a hand take mine and that sweet woman who had asked me how things were going earlier was sitting in silence with me.  I can only try to explain how much this meant.  Being in the leadership role I am in at church a lot of times people don't minister to me, rather I minister to them. I am comfortable with that but sometimes you really just need to know you're not alone and that someone cares.  That meant so much to me that she stepped out and came to "stand" with me so I wouldn't be alone.

We left that night energized and encouraged.  We left reassured that God loves us and not only does he love us but he orchestrated things so that the very day I began to admit my frustrations was the day he answered in such a blatant way.  Our God is so faithful!

There is more to this story, so much more but until we know the direction it is headed we can't confidently share.  Just know that we weren't the only ones God spoke to that night and as the details continue to unfold his faithfulness takes on a whole new meaning.

Be Blessed! 

Comments

Esther said…
He is faithful! I will be praying for you and your journey. Thank you for your honesty.
Katie said…
Thanks Esther!