It's that Time of Year

Fall is here!!!  Or it will be officially Friday!  I love fall.  I love the leaves, the air, the coats and BOOTS!  Everyone looks better in the Fall and feel better too.  It's also the time when it's not weird if you make stew or chili or any other kind of soup.  I love stews... Mmmm I am now hungry.



I've talked in the past a little about our infertility issues.  Well living with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) does not just mean that I cannot get pregnant.  Living with PCOS also means I have to be very careful about what I eat.  What goes in my body directly impacts my health... I know what you're thinking "that's everyone" right?  Well Steve can attest to this; eating healthy with PCOS is nothing like eating healthy without it.  I have to look at everything, when I don't I become a monster.  I get snappy, tired, emotional, irrational... the list goes on and on.  We have had weeks in the past where we just had to make due with what was around and the result was way to many carbs and too much sugar.  I remember the end of the week driving to see Steve's family and having a total meltdown over salad... SALAD!!!  I'm not kidding when I say I get out of control if I'm not careful with what goes into my body.

So all of that to say it has made me start getting creative and really thinking through ways to alter my favorite foods or simply retrain my taste buds to like things I didn't think I liked before.  For example, two years ago I HATED cheese.  You couldn't get me to eat it if it was the last food on earth.  Well then I really started working through my health issues and thinking through things and realized that was going to have to change.  So it did.  I really do like cheese now.. still blows Steve's mind sometimes!


So what is different about how I (sometimes Steve) eat?  No sugar, low carbs, high fat, high protein is the easy answer.  A whole lot of planning and knowledge about what is going IN my body is the other answer.  It's amazing how sugar or high fructose corn syrup is in everything.  That stuff will destroy your body even if you don't have dietary needs.  I have to read labels, be informed about how I react to different things and really just plan out and be proactive.

So now that I have bored you with all the food details I will get to the point of this.  I am always looking for recipes that are "almost there", recipes that I can take and tweak.  I have a crazy sweet tooth but have to make or bake almost everything I eat because I use my own sweeteners.  So today browsing facebook I saw a friend had posted some pumpkin cupcakes.  I started checking out the website they came from and was thrilled to find that a lot of it was things I could easily take and modify.  I wanted to share it in case there is anyone else out there who is interested or is just curious.

looks so amazing!

Oh and on the kid front.  Things are moving and going but I cannot share any details at this point.  We have had some things turn on their head and we are incredibly hopeful but I am just not ready to put it all out there until we know more.  I CAN tell you though that when our little ones come home they will be eating just as naturally as we are.  It's even more important to me that they start early on no sugar/no chemicals... the more research I do on it all the more terrified I am.     

Comments