Finding Joy in the Midst of the Storm

After typing that title, I realize this already sounds like a sermon.  So please, open up your Bibles...

Just kidding...

Oddly enough, I do feel like God has given us a sermon this past week.  How do you find joy when you're world comes crashing down?  Here's how:

Last night, Katie and I were talking about the future and I had to say, "Katie, I'm still mourning right now."

I'm sure you're thinking, "Mourning? That seems a bit dramatic, doesn't it?" Honestly, I'm not sure I could find a word closer to the truth than mourning.  I'm mourning 4 months of being a father.  I'm also mourning the dreams I had for the rest of my life.  All the things I had already imagined doing: the first day of school; their first school play; the first date (though I'm pretty sure they would have had a 1st double date...).

All these things had already come to mind.  I don't know if every parent goes through this or not.  But seeing how quickly they grew up in the 4 months we called them daughters it was almost impossible not to think about all those things.

So, mourning yes.  The things that were, and the things that were yet to come.

But this chapter doesn't end in sadness.  In the midst of the mourning we still find joy in Christ.  Now, don't confuse joy with giddiness, or a happy spirit.  Joy goes so much deeper than fleeting moments of laughter.  Joy is the peace in the midst of mourning that says, "You are loved.  This pain will not last forever.  I'm not finished with you yet."

See, while happiness leads to laughter, it eventually fades away.  Joy leads to hope, and hope carries you in the midst of the storm.

In the midst of the storm, the truth that God is not finished with us yet gives us hope. And hope will carry us through to the next chapter.

Comments