Where Life Slows Down

I'm somewhat convinced that Katie and I live in the Virginia version of the Bermuda Triangle.  Lately, when I've been driving home, the stress of the day seems to quickly fade away.  By the time I arrive at the house and park the car, life slows to a near stop.

I'm not worried about what I have to get done at work the next day.  Planning services and figuring out details about worship for the coming week becomes a distant memory.  I'm at peace.  I'm comfortable.  I'm safe.

It's been almost 7 years of worry and constant stress for our marriage.  Some days were not always that bad, but looking back, I've allowed everything else dictate what I was supposed to do and when I was supposed to do it.  That's not healthy by any standard.  Not for me, and especially not for my marriage.

Usually at this point, I would begin some manifesto type statement about how I'm going to "stand up and make changes and be a man."  The beauty of where we are at now, is that I don't have to.  By allowing life to slow down, I'm able to see what matters and what's inconsequential.  Slowing down has allowed me to see what a man really is.

I've found I'm not alone in this struggle to grasp on to what matters in life.  I've talked to a bunch of other men who have been bound to schedules and what we thought were our duties only to find that what really mattered was how we treated our wives and kids.

Men, it's time to slow down.  Make the time to go for a walk with your wife just because.  Eat a meal slowly just to enjoy the taste of the food and quality of the company.

Comments