an adoption story

 It's been an emotional few days praying about God's direction and asking for patience and humility and being very, very busy.  But we keep holding on even in the emotional moments and I found this story today and it was such a sweet reminder that his timing is perfect and he knows our heart and our pain... He is Abba.  He is our Father!


Enjoy!

In His Time

Not being able to have a baby has been like being on a very long roller coaster ride, when all you wanted to do was take the train. I have learned so much about the body of Christ and how God works through His people. He is so faithful and His plan for our lives is truly the best.

My husband, Merle, and I were not always in agreement about adoption, so when I finally stopped nagging him, and giving him the silent treatment, and having other people talk to him, etc...God worked in his heart and Merle came to me and said he wanted to adopt. Once again God’s timing is perfect.

We started the adoption process in Grand Rapids, Michigan, so when we moved to Georgia and were able to transfer our adoption process here, my heart was filled with joy. I just assumed it would be like a snap of the fingers, and I was ready for my Georgia baby. After all, I had already waited so long. But God had more things to teach me.
When I sent Bethany our profile, and it had been lost in the mail, I was crushed. And when Merle couldn’t take time off work to come to Bethany to meet our caseworker, I was very impatient. But little things like a note in the mail from our caseworker, or a friend sending an encouraging book to read, or a devotion that spoke directly to my heart would comfort me. God knows just what we need and when we need it.

Well, our waiting process was slowly rolling along. Merle decided that we should go to Atlanta to meet our caseworker. All I prayed for was a good meeting with our caseworker. I wanted to remind her that we were still here waiting. But, oh, what God had planned! God had set up a providential meeting with our birthmother. This just proves that He always gives us more than we could ever ask for or imagine. You can imagine the looks on our faces when our caseworker told us that a birthmother had chosen us, she was in the Bethany office, and she would like to meet us! What a joyous meeting it was!

We know things like that don’t just happen. God was at work in our lives. What are the chances of driving six hours to Bethany and having a birthmother decide she wants to reveal whom she has chosen on that same day?

I would like to encourage waiting adoptive families that prayer works, and the right baby is out there for them. God changes us through our prayers. Now that we have Riley, I am finally thankful for not being pregnant all those times before. I pray that I will be a good mommy and teach Riley to love the Lord who has been so faithful to me. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort others (2 Cor. 1:3-4).
Bethany is God’s hands and feet, and we are so thankful for all of the people at Bethany who helped work out God’s will for our lives. May God continue to bless your work as He changes people’s lives through the adoption process.


love to all!

Comments