A Night in the Dark



It's a very interesting experience leading worship for people you can't see.

Normally, I close my eyes when I lead worship anyway, but I still take peeks every so often just to make sure people are connecting. Yes....I'm watching you. But not in some creepy stalker kind of way.

It's a strange dicotomy.
In some respects, it's my job to help guide you to an encounter with God. On the other hand, the only one who can lead you to the throne is Jesus. Sometimes I wonder what my job is. Most of the time, it's get out of the way so the Holy Spirit can do what it needs to get your attention. Other times, it's be used by the Holy Spirit to help keep you in that encounter.

But what do you do when you can't see the congregation?

I'm sure by now, you're wondering what on earth I'm talking about.

Last night, our College Ministry had a night of prayer and worship. The catch was it was entirely in the dark. And I don't mean really low mood lighting. I mean we had to lead you by the hand to your seat because there was zero light. Well, I take that back. You guys didn't have any light. Katie and I did in our bat cave on the stage.

This is the second time I have lead in an environment where I couldn't see the congregation. The first was when I was playing with the Micah Watson Band. We were at a camp in Boliver, MO and the preacher/camp director had decided that the first night we would play behind a curtian with lights behind us. So, the campers could see us, but they couldn't see us. While that was interesting, it wasn't near as difficult as complete and utter darkness and separation like last night.

What was interesting though was that as soon as I let go of the fact that I couldn't see anyone, I began to lead in the most uninhibited way I ever have. It was God, Katie, and myself in that cube. It was family worship time. No one to impress. No one to keep an eye on. It was just us.

And it was amazing.

Jesus said that when we pray, we should go into our closet, shut the door, and get alone with God. Maybe, we need to do that with our worship too. It's amazing what God can show you when you get quiet enough to hear his still small voice.

PS. Sorry I have no pics of Katie. She took the ones above with my iPhone and neglected to photograph herself in the process.

Comments