Kibera -the jungle

Today was one of those days where you don't realize something is going on inside of you until it spews forth in a messy display of emotion. Today was the day I experienced Kibera. Kibera is the second largest slum in Africa. It is estimated that over 4 million people live here. The streets are uneven, muddy, covered in trash and sewage is everywhere. The smells are so varied and overpowering. Your eyes cannot begin to take in everything.

We began our time in Kibera by visiting the St. Martha's ministry. This is a ministry that works with widows who are also infected with HIV. These women have children, some as many as 7. St. Martha's comes alongside them and helps them through mico-loans and business plans to get to a point where they are healthy spiritually, physically and mentally. They help them find a purpose and to do that purpose to the best of their ability.

I sat in a room with 10 women. Everyone of them was a widow. Everyone of them was HIV positive and all had at least 2 children they cared for but most had many more. Most of them had taken orphans off the streets of Kibera and brought them into their homes in addition to their own children. I sat and listened as each of these women began to tell their story. I was humbled as I listened and over and over heard these women thank God for who he was and for how he had and is providing. at the end of our meeting we prayed together. It was a beautiful time as these women lifted their voices in song and sang "asanti" or "thank you" over and over to Jesus.

As we finished meeting we were able to go and see some of the jewelry these women make. It was so beautiful to see how it all came together and to meet those who had made each piece!

We took off on a walk after we met. Our hosts wanted to show us kabira. I was so unprepared for what I saw.... Nothing could ever have prepared me for it. As we walked I simply took it all in. I looked in shop windows as we passed and saw the butcher shop where all the meat was out on the a table... No refrigerators here just hunks of meat. I saw tons of shops that served food, sewing and embroidery and even one for getting your hair done. All around these shops and homes the streets were teeming with life. Hundreds of people were out working, talking or heading somewhere. Kids were everywhere and just wanted to say "how are you" and hold your hand for a min.

When we left I thought to myself "this was a very humbling experience". I was grateful I could see it and thought that was it.... When we got home I went to take a shower and clean up a bit from the walk. All the sudden something broke inside of me. Huge sobs began screaming their way to the surface. So much pain, so much poverty, so much need.... And I think I need the newest whatever or more room to have my "space". I began to cry out to God. I felt so ashamed for my thoughts and actions. To think that my family is determined by how much room we have or how much money to buy the nicest things. To think that it's ok to eat out today because I'm tired and we deserve it. It all just broke apart inside of me. I have been careless with the bounty he has bestowed in me. I have been ungrateful for the blessing of where I live. I will never get the images from today out of my head... I never want to.

Love to all

Comments