A piece of my heart

I am in Kenya. The last time I was here was almost exactly 28 years ago! Obviously I have no memories from my first trip but I can honestly say being in Africa is so calming to me. The rhythm is slower, things are simple but oh so complex and the people are gracious, gentle and loving. So loving that men take their lunch hour many days to volunteer at a local orphanage holding babies... That is so amazing to me!

I have so many pictures to share but will have to wait until I get home unless I can find a way to upload some here. there have been some very precious moments though!

Yesterday (Tuesday) we arrived in Nairobi at 6:30 am. It was a breeze getting through customs and in no time we were on our way to the university we are staying at. I have never felt as tired as I did yesterday! I was a walking zombie most of the day and that was after 3 naps! We took care of some necessities, took a nap and then went to have lunch at this amazing place called Amani ya ju... I have met some of the women you see on the main page and heard their stories. They are beautiful and I was so blessed by them! After lunch we went and got a few groceries then headed back for another nap...dinner followed and was so amazing! All in all it was a great way to spend my birthday! My favorite moment of the day was walking back with drew from dinner down this long dirt road.... It finally began to sink in we were in Africa!

Well that is all I can tell tonight... I am beyond exhausted! Tomorrow I will tell you about our trip to see the elephant orphanage, the real orphanage and our trip to the biggest slum in Africa... Hearts are def. Being molded on this trip... It would be shameful to be here and not be... We have so much when we truly need so little!

Love to all!

Comments