Masai Mara Adventures

I am in Masai Mara! To try and write the beauty of this place will not do it justice but I will try anyways. We are staying in the middle of the Mara. As in our lodge is on a hill that overlooks so much! Every day you look out your window and see elephants, giraffes, baboons, lemurs.... And those are just the things we've seen near the lodge. I am currently sitting on this fabulous stone deck where the view of the Mara does not end..... It literally looks like the world drops off before the mara does.  Before me is a sea of greens, blues and yellows that swirl together to make a breathtaking and unforgettable scene!

You have to pay for Internet here so this post will tell about our three days in Masai Mara instead of me blogging each day! Its too beautiful to be caught up on Facebook gossip here anyways!

We set off for M.M. On Monday morning bright and early! I was exhausted and fell asleep pretty quickly as we  set off. After several stops each with their own unique experiences we reached the halfway mark. At that point Richard asks us if we like the roads.... Confused we say " of course they are great"! Well he tells us they are about to change and we really think nothing of it. We turn off onto this dirt road and we're thinking "this is no big deal". Suddenly the road changes and pretty much becomes the consistency of a river bed. HUGE rocks, lots of deep holes. Richard is an amazing driver and did a great job of moving through it but 3 hours later we were sore, tired and beginning to reach our limit. There were times the car was practically vertical as we tried to avoid a hole or rock.

To make matters more interesting about 2 hours away from the lodge my brother begins to feel ill. By the time we arrive he is burning up and nauseous. We get to our room quickly and it was a good thing we did.... Let's just say drew was out of time.

After drew was "finished" we got him in bed and focused on getting his fever down. He slept for a few hours and then decided he wanted to try and go out before it got dark. So Richard took us out and we say hippos and lions. It was fabulous!  The night ended with dinner, a surprise visit from elephants and early to bed to get ready for a early safari ride.

The next morning we woke up at 5:45am and I was greeted with a horrible migraine.... The type that leave you weak and tired, nauseous and in so much pain. I tried to rally and go out on the safari but about 30 min in I realized I needed to go back.... My first hint was I was RiGHT NEXT TO a lion and all I could think about was how much my head hurt :/.

So drew and Richard took me back to the lodge where I proceeded to sleep for 5 hours. Drew came back and we went and got lunch. I was feeling a lot better but didn't want to be foolish so while drew went back out dot the afternoon I stayed on the beautiful deck and watched lemurs and geckos dodge children that are searching for them.... The best part was the kids were all Italian so they are all loud and beautiful yelling things like "simpatico" and waving their hands... Such cute kids!

By the end of the day I was feeling well enough to go out for the night run .  As we were leaving a huge thunderstorm rolled in. I thought they would tell us we needed to go back but we just kept going and I'm so glad we did. Most of the time we saw gazelle's but right at the end we came upon two cheetahs who were hunting a herd of animals that I have forgotten the name for. No one got eaten but it was a neat thing to watch. We began to head back when out of no where a female lion came out of the grass and was standing right next to us... I mean literally 5 feet away! She was beautiful! 

All in all it was a good experience at Masai Mara even with the extremely hard moments when we were sick. The people here were very kind and every one of them would stop me to ask how drew was... That amazed me! The food was wonderful and it was nice to have it all paid for upfront. There was nothing to worry about once we got here.... Ook other than the sickness.  

Something I've noticed and really liked about this place is there are people from all over the world. There are accents and languages flying all around me! I sat at lunch yesterday while drew was sleeping and just took it all in.... You realize when you sit back and watch that we are all so similar. We all want to see beauty. We all want to see our families provided for. We want the best in life for us and the ones we love. We all chase joy. The thing that makes us different are how we see beauty. How we provide or if we do. If wanting the best is the only thing we do or if we actually go after it. How we find joy? Honestly without Christ I think all those things fall short. If you aren't aware of the creator beauty looses an aspect. If we strive for our best we miss His. If we chase joy and not Jesus we truly are never satisfied.... Just some thoughts from Masai Mara.

I've really had a lot of things challenged on this trip but that is another post.

Be blessed my friends!

Comments

Jeni said…
Amazing adventures! Thanks for sharing!