So He Does Exist...

I feel like a real slacker these days. My lovely wife Katie has been carrying all of the slack of posting and keeping everyone informed of what's been going on in our lives. So, please excuse my absence from here.

Today is a really exciting day for us. Or at least I feel like it is. Two days ago I ordered a book from Amazon that will help Katie and I learn Kinyarwanda, the native tongue of our future kids. One of the things Katie and I always dreamed about has been being multi-lingual, and not just being able to say all of the "bad words" in a different language. If you're being honest with yourself, you know exactly what I mean.

One of my personal fears that I've had about adopting internationally is that for the first few weeks or months, that we wouldn't be able to communicate at all with our kids aside from pointing and hoping that they knew what we were asking/talking about. Perhaps that seems a little shallow, but I'm sure I'm not the only adoptive parent that has had that fear.

I do know that English is an official language of Rwanda, but it's very important to me that our kids have a connection with where they've come from. Obviously, once we get them here they will become American citizens and they'll take on that identity. But they will always have this tie back to Rwanda - and I want them to have that. I want them to know about the culture they were born into and the language that would have been theirs (at least the ones who would have been to young to learn it).

So today, Katie and I will start the process of investing in our kids. It's a wonderful thing and I'm beyond excited! Pray for us!

Comments

Anonymous said…
amakuru inshuti... babacoca cyane

Kinyarwanda is hard dude... it is going to be near impossible to learn the language outside of Rwanda. You need to be around native speakers to get the words right and I haven't found products online that help you pronounce the words.

Not to discourage you... and anyways Swahili is much easier and more useful as you can speak it in Kenya, Tanzania, parts of Rwanda, and parts of Uganda. Hakuna Mutata rafiki! (don't worry brother/friend!)

I suggest teaching your kids Spanish as they won't know the different anyways :) Just tell them they're Cubans...