Storms

So, in case you haven't been paying attention to the news lately, Hurricane Earl is about ready to strike the Eastern Coast tomorrow. As of right now, Earl is a Category 3 hurricane which pretty much means bad news. When Isabell hit VA a some years back, it was only a Tropical Storm and it pretty much crippled Hampton Roads for about a week.

Fortunately for us, it's supposed to pass far enough away that we should only have tropical storm like winds and rain. However, it got me thinking about something. Whenever I was in a scary situation, I always used to look at my father. If he was nervous, we were all gonna die! At least, that's how it always felt. However, if he was calm, then we all rested comfortably, no matter how scary things seemed to get.

The moral of this story is that as a father, I need to be able to embody confidence in my kids. When we pick them up, I'm sure they're going to be scared. I mean, we're two strangers taking them halfway across the world on something they've probably never seen before. Katie and I will probably be scared to. I think having a healthy fear of parenting is a normal and expected response. However, we need to be sure that we've got our game face on with our kids. Showing them confidence and protection.

So, to our future kids, wherever you are, daddy knows Karate and he'll punch the storm in the face if he has to...

Comments