Bull in a China Shop

For the past couple weeks my life has revolved around our churches upcoming musical. If I'm not working then I'm practicing. If I'm not practicing, then I'm thinking about the songs. If I'm not thinking about the songs I'm sleeping. I have literally had that little time to think about anything else.
All the while, Katie has been amazing to me. I've done my best to still try and be a good husband but there are definitely times in marriage where one person is kinda carrying the ball and this is no exception. This past Saturday we (meaning Katie) watched some of our friends kids for a couple hours. It also happened that there was a rehearsal for the musical that day and I was still trying to work out the many kinks I had.

Now, Katie handled pretty much the load of the munchkins but I think I got a glimpse of what life will be like in the coming years. Here's the scene for you....


I'm chugging away on the songs and I hear a, "Steve, I need your help". So, I stop go to the bathroom where she's giving the kids a bath. I enter the bathroom to see a naked-as-the-day-he-was-born child gleefully sprinting about the small area of the bathroom. I grab said naked baby, add a diaper and clothes, and then take said no-longer-naked-baby to the room where I was practicing.

I resume practice, now both looking at the music AND the child. "No, leave the paper clip alone." "No, don't turn that page." "No, don't unplug that cable." "Don't touch that dial..."

It's a wonder people get anything done with children. Consequently, I now have no issues looking at the music and watching the director during orchestra practices.

Despite all of the child-wrangling practice it was a lot of fun. And extremely cute. It totally made me look forward to the day when we get to have our kids home. I imagine there will be a lot more of that going on.

Comments